Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

January 19, 2012

I saw my fifth Snowy of the season!

I saw my fifth Snowy Owl yesterday.  A good number for me but pales in comparison to some others who have seen more than 2 dozen in Southern Ontario.

This is THE year to see a Snowy Owl in the wild.  As I previously blogged before, there is a Snowy Owl "invasion" or as the proper term is "irruption".  Check out this really cool YouTube video about the invasion, it's only 3 mins long and well worth the viewing.

I love birding and I love taking photos.  Now I've got my fix for the time being on viewing Snowys, I really hope to capture something great in way of a photograph for personal memories of this amazing winter with them.  Too often the birds are far off in fields and other spots where they hope to rest and not be disturbed...  and I can respect that, and I WILL RESPECT that.  One day I will luck out and get THE shot for me.

Here's the 5 Snowys to date...

Snowy #1 was found just east of Toronto along the lakeshore.

Snowy #2, a beautiful near pure white male, found about 35 mins north of Toronto near Newmarket.

The next two made for a 2 Snowy Owl day about 3 hours east of Toronto.  This one is perched way out in a cattle field atop a potential Osprey nest stand.

Despite the distance, this is my personal favorite shot of a Snowy Owl for the winter.  The landscaping and sky just make it so nice.

And #5 was found just down the road from me yesterday.  There is a man working on a boat in the background (blue helmet) and has no idea that a majestic bird is so very near him resting.

Thanks for looking.  I hope to share a few more with you in the coming weeks before they all fly way north again.  And apologies for my absence but it's winter, I got birds to see...  winter really is a great season for birding, believe it or not, you just gotta bundle up and go!

No comments: