Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

April 21, 2017

Please Check This Out...

Hello!  How's it going?  Is anyone out there?

I've shared the news on social media but this is for anyone who may somehow follow me, finding out about my blogs through other means...

I've started a sub-blog called Toronto Nest Blog and you can view it here.

Why would I do something like that?  Well, more for me than anything else, keeping such data and adventures separate from my regular blog.  It's only seasonal, running from April until July, when I am helping monitor nest boxes in our area, mostly being Tree Swallows.


I may touch upon the latest with our Peregrine Falcon fledge watches or any other nests of interest I may chance upon.

Of course if anything else happens throughout this time, I will be right back here keying about it.

Life is getting back to normal around here as my wife's broken foot heals.  We may not be running after the Warblers as hard this year but we will still be out there.

As I key this, I am listening to the morning sounds of the first White-throated Sparrow in our backyard for the season.  They don't stick around us for more than a week or two so this is nice.


Anyway, I hope to see some of you over there.  I've done 2 entries this week to get it going.

Cheers!


1 comment:

Karen said...

Hello from the Ottawa Valley!
Despite still having SNOW on the ground, we are seeing lots of bird activity around here. We also have lots of WATER rushing here and there so waterfowl are in abundance in otherwise dry areas. We saw a pair of buffelhead ducks the other day. They are so lovely.
Three of my birdhouses have nests in them, though being quite far from the house on a horse fence, we can't really see who is in there tidying things up. Maybe once I get working on the garden I will catch a glimpse.
The pheobe couple are back to renovating their nest under the side entry porch roof. They usually raise one successful brood in the spring. They have another go at it on in July, but that one is not always so fruitful. It gets SO HOT up there in the rafters that the babies frequently succumb to the heat. We've tried to discourage them by getting rid of the nest when the first lot leaves, but overnight it will be right back there.
The hen turkey is hanging about on the fringes of the yard (we have roughly 2 acres there). We don't see the young ones until they get a good size. She keeps them back of the tree line.
We don't have any outdoor cats around and our dog passed away early in the spring, so perhaps we will see more activity.
I've seen various posts about the Kestrels. The populations seem to be up around here this year! I see a couple sitting on a fence line on my way into town. They seem to have a well defined territory.